Installing Siebel on your Local machine is not complicated. Normally there as Siebel Administrators who do assist in having this setup. To complete the installation and getting started you will need client and tools config files provided either by your Siebel Administrators or your coworker. Also you will need ODBC DSN Name entry details from them for connecting it to the server. Before you attempt to install client make sure you have Windows 2000/2003/XP with minimum 1GB of RAM.
We will here cover installing Client software for developers. Follow these basics steps and you should be able to start working on Siebel.
- Go to http://edelivery.oracle.com/
- Login with your support-web username and password. (Provided by your manager)
- You will be given a choice of which software you want to download along with the OS. There will be multiple files depending upon what version you would like to download.
- Download all the related files in on single directory.
- Extract all these files into another directory. Extract all of them in one single directory. This is called the Image Directory.
- Under the Image Directory go into Windows and then Client directory
- You will see Siebel Tools and Siebel Web client. As for a developer we need both Tools and Client. More information on these is provided in further sections.
- First we will install Client. Click setup under Siebel Web Client directory.
- Go through the steps appropriately. Accept default parameters or skip any parameters that it would ask or enter some dummy parameters if required. All the parameters that you enter here is stored in config file which will be replaced by the config file you have received.
- With this you will be able to connect to the sample database. Next few steps will guide in connecting to Local and Server database. More information about Sample, Local and Server database will be covered under Siebel Tools and Client section.
- Copy the client config file that you got previously from your Siebel Admin into the $installation_dir\web client\BIN\ENU from step 9. For example like C:\Program Files\Siebel\7.7\web client\BIN\ENU
- Enter the ODBC setting provided by Siebel Admin under Windows Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Data Sources -> System DSN. When you add make sure you select Siebel Oracle Driver.
- With this you should be able to connect to the Server Database.
- Request for Database Extract for your account to the Siebel Administrator. Details provided under . When this is done go to the next step.
- Then login into local environment and it would ask if you would like to connect for extract the local database. Once done you will see a database file “sse_data.dbf”either under $install_dir\Tools\Local or $install_dir\WebClient\Local depending on how it is setup in config file. Make sure your tools and client config files are pointing to this one single dbf file for connecting to local DB. All this help will connect to the local database for both Client and Tools.
- Similarly to install tools, under the Image directory go to Windows Client and then Tools and click setup.
- 17. Go through the steps appropriately like previously. Accept default parameters or skip any parameters that it would ask or enter some dummy parameters if required.
- Copy the tools config file provided by the Siebel Administrator under $install_dir\Tools\BIN\ENU. For Example C:\Program Files\Siebel\7.7\Tools\BIN\ENU
- If you have already extracted the local database make sure that in tools.cfg file local db is pointing to that extracted database as explained in step 15.
This should complete installation. In our next section we will cover the details about config file.